How to Apply
Students interested in becoming a Hajim School Grand Challenges Scholar should:
- Write a letter of application which includes the following information (two pages maximum):
- List your name, phone number, email address, expected major, and expected class year
- Describe what you hope to gain from the Grand Challenge Scholars Program (GCSP)
- Describe which Grand Challenge interests you the most and why
- List any activities or courses have you already completed that satisfy one or more of the five GCSP competencies
- Describe your initial plan for fulfilling the GCSP requirements and with whom you’ve discussed your ideas
- Create or update your resume
Submit these documents as a single pdf file with the filename "GCSP Application – Your Name.pdf". Attach that file to an email and send to hajimschool@UR.Rochester.edu. In the subject line, write "GCSP Application.”
- Good academic standing (there is no minimum GPA to participate)
- A clear demonstrated interest in participating in the program, as evidenced through the application letter
- A well thought‑out plan for how to meet the components of the GCSP
We anticipate being able to admit into the program all students who meet these criteria. For the 2017-18 academic year, there is no application deadline.
Students are encouraged to discuss their desire to become a Hajim School Grand Challenge Scholar with either Lisa Norwood or Jim Zavislan as early as possible in order to allow enough time to complete a plan of action for documenting progress toward, and completing each of the GCSP's five components for the Grand Challenge of their choice.