Apple Display Optical Engineer
Cupertino, California, United States
To apply, please send your resume to Blair Curry at firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include in the email subject line: "Applicant from University of Rochester".
Apple is looking for a world-class optical engineer for design, development and qualification activities of our next generation display technology and products.
Serve as a focal point in managing technology development and driving the implementation of critical technology platforms to improve display optical performance, from initial design concepts into final products. You will be involved in system modeling to assist in the design and validation of optics associated with a new display technology platform. You will work with a diverse audience that may include physicists, chemists, optical, mechanical, electrical, display and product design engineers. Contribute independently and act as project Direct Responsible Individual in working with supplier and multi-functional teams to define product specification, understand design tolerance and sensitivities, optimize system level performance base on critical metrics, and validate system designs through engineering builds and design of experiments.
You should also be a good communicator and work well with people from different disciplines. We work at a fast pace and require everyone to be highly self-motivated and quantitative in problem solving.
- Solid fundamental in optical engineering, system analysis and design
- In-depth knowledge of geometrical optics, illumination and imaging system, and color science; some background in diffractive optics a plus
- Proficiency in an optical simulation and data analysis of complicated systems
- Experience with display optics, image processing and digital/analog circuit preferred
- Proven ability to use analytical thinking and systematic method to conduct investigation for problem solving
- Excellent project management, written and verbal communication and teamwork skills required
- Hands-on experience with lab work which may include prototype mock-up, engineering sample characterization and validation
- Able and willing to travel internationally (up to 20% annually) is required
- Investigate state-of-art display technologies and generate new approaches to further improve Apple display optical performances
- Define and review the overall module optical architecture and requirements, and drive rigorous validation plan for total display optical performance
- Achieve performance goals through optical design simulation, prototyping, lab testing, tolerance and sensitivity analysis, and iterative design optimization
- Identify critical metrics impacting display performance, analyze experimental and build data, present concise analysis summarizing status and next steps to management
- Work with system and multi-functional engineering team to understand system level requirement and drive display module validation and qualification from concept development through engineering builds and to initial ramp
- Lead failure analysis of display issues and deep dive into finding the root cause and corrective action
PhD/MS in Optics, Physics, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work experience
Additional Desirable Requirements
- Experience developing and manufacturing high volume technology products
Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.