Apple Sensing Hardware Engineer (Optics)
Cupertino, California, United States
To apply, please send your resume to Annessa Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include in the email subject line: "Applicant from University of Rochester".
Design, develop, and launch next-generation Sensor Technologies in Apple products.
Our Sensor Hardware team develops sensor solutions and technologies for Apple’s products, including the iPhone, iPad, MacBooks, Apple Watch, and more. The key goal of the Sensor Technology team is to enable the world’s best user-experience. New challenges arise every single day that require the sharp analytical skills of talented and smart individuals. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that cultivates engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. We are looking for Optical Hardware Development Engineers with a strong background in both optical modelling and experiments to help develop new sensors and sensing systems for future Apple products.
- Multi-disciplinary understanding of optics, general Physics principles and basic Electrical Engineering concepts
- Proven experience in modelling complex cross-disciplinary systems
- Ability to effectively combine modelling and experimentation to drive key system design decisions
- Proficiency with numerical simulation software: Matlab, Python, Zemax, LightTools, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and proven collaboration and leadership skills
- Investigate feasibility of new sensors and sensing approaches
- Use optical modelling tools and experiments to design miniaturized optical components and systems.
- Develop and accurately predict performance of complex miniaturized optical systems; follow through between simulations and measurements
- Feature definition, block-level simulation, and spec authorship of sensor modules
- Building, maintaining, and documenting a thorough end-to-end understanding of optical sensing system
- Analyze engineering and production data sets in order to reconcile system model
- Work alongside firmware team to develop advanced algorithms to ensure module performance
- Work closely with mechanical and process engineering teams in optimizing trade-offs between manufacturability, reliability and performance
- Author regular technical communication for executive and multi-functional briefings
PhD/MS/BS in Optics, Physics or Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
Additional Desirable Requirements
- Industry experience in miniaturized optical systems is preferred, but not a hard requirement
Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.