Alumni Tenure Track Professor at University of Delaware
August 25, 2017
Assistant Professor Catherine Fromen
- Post-Doctorate - 2017 University of Michigan
- Doctorate - 2014 North Carolina State University
- Bachelors - 2009 University of Rochester
"Respiratory diseases remain a challenging therapeutic problem, resulting in high morbidity and mortality. These conditions range from infectious diseases of influenza, tuberculosis and pneumonia, to known genetic and immunological disorders of cystic fibrosis (CF), allergy, and lung cancers, and finally to acquired conditions dominated by airway obstructions and lung remodeling in COPD, asthma, and pulmonary fibrosis. With each of these diseases, physiological/pathological changes occur on many length scales, with dysfunction on the molecular level causing changes in cellular interactions, dynamics of the microenvironment, and resulting whole organ function. We are interested in applying engineering fundamentals and innovative tools with the latest understanding in immunology to better predict how these changes manifest at each length scale. Importantly, we seek to understand how these changes impact the efficacy of inhaled therapeutics and to develop translational aerosol designs in new therapeutic areas.
Three main areas of interest include:
1. Leveraging 3D printing to advance in vitro tools for pulmonary drug delivery testing
2. Using engineered particles to probe lung biology and immune function
3. Engineering novel therapeutics for controlled immune stimulation in the lung"