MS in Materials Science
The master’s degree in materials science at the University of Rochester requires a minimum of 30 credit hours of graduate courses. To obtain their MS, students in this program can choose from two plans: Plan A, with thesis, or Plan B, without thesis. Plan B is the default option for entering students.
If a student wishes to pursue a Plan A path instead, it is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with a faculty thesis advisor to supervise their work and to inform the materials science graduate coordinator.
Plan A: Thesis
For students pursuing the MS degree with thesis (Plan A), the following requirements apply:
- A minimum of 20 credit hours of materials science graduate courses
- Ten credit hours for research
- Successful completion of an oral defense of their thesis
The oral defense will take place after all other degree requirements have been completed.
Plan B: Without a Thesis
For students electing to obtain the MS degree without a thesis (Plan B), the following requirements apply:
- A minimum of 24 credit hours of material sciences graduate courses
- Six credit hours of other related courses
- A comprehensive oral examination