Selected Honors & Awards
Hobbs Endowment (2009) Awards, Duke University
Burroughs Welcome (2007)
Our research interests combine materials and surface chemistry with contemporary manufacturing techniques. Our general vision is that physical and chemical properties of micro-and nano-structured materials are determined in large part by their interfaces, and that a precise control over the interfacial properties of such materials can predictable change their functions without modifying the bulk composition. Our current projects include the development of monomolecular deposition techniques that can predictable alter electronic, biological and chemical properties of inorganic and organic interfaces, the study of new polymeric materials that can be used in scalable manufacturing of micro-and nano-structured devices, an the development of advanced manufacturing methods for multicomponent colloids with anisotropically distributed chemical, optical and magnetic properties. Our experimental work combines an interdisciplinary mix of organic and polymer chemistry, diverse deposition and patterning techniques, advanced material and surface characterization, and optical and magnetic trapping.
- Surface Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Surface Patterning
- Nanostructured Materials
- Interfacial Thermodynamics
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- ChE 226: Thermodynamics II
- ChE 487: Surface Analysis
- Hill, K.; Walker, S.N.; Salminen, A.; Chung, H.L.; Li, X.; Ezzat, B.; Miller, J.J.; DesOrmeaux, J.P.S.; Zhang, J.; Hayden, A.; Burgin, T.; Piraino, L.; May, M.N.; Gaborski, T.R.; Roussie, J.A.; Taylor, J.; DiVincenti Jr., L.; Shestopalov, A.A.; McGrath, J.L.; Johnson, D.G., "Second Generation Nanoporous Silicon Nitride Membranes for High Toxin Clearance and Small Format Hemodialysis," Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2020, 9, 4, 1900750. DOI:10.1002/adhm.201900750
- Wallace, J.U.; Shestopalov, A.A.; Kosc, T.; Chen, S.H., "Scalable Synthesis of Cholesteric Glassy Liquid Crystals," Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2018, 57, 12, 4470-4473.
- Li, X.Z.; Johnson, D.; Ma, W.C.; Chung, H.; Getpreecharsawas, J.; McGrath, J.L.; Shestopalov, A.A., "Modification of Nanoporous Silicon Nitride with Stable and Functional Organic Monolayers," Chemistry of Materials, 2017, 29, 5-2294-2302.
- Li, X.Z.; Ma, W.C.; Shestopalov, A.A., "Vapor-Phase Carbenyation of Hard and Soft Material Interfaces," Langmuir, 2016, 32, 44-11386-11394.