Professor McCrory's research interests are in the general field of theoretical plasma and laser physics. He has made numerous contributions to inertial fusion beginning with his work on wavelength dependence of the hydrodynamic efficiency of laser-driven targets and hydrodynamic stability theory. He was awarded the 1995 Edward Teller Medal for his pioneering research and leadership in the use of lasers for controlled thermonuclear fusion. The Fusion Power Associates Board of Directors awarded him the 1996 Leadership Award for his outstanding leadership qualities in accelerating the development of fusion. The board noted the key role he plays in the management councils of the national and international inertial confinement fusion communities and his important role in bringing an academic perspective to the national inertial confinement fusion program. He was elected a fellow of the American Physical Society in 1985 for his many contributions to fundamental understanding of hydrodynamic instability and thermal transport in laser-driven plasmas. He served on the National Academy of Sciences' Committee on Space Technology to the US Space Command of the Air Force Studies Board which advised the US CINC SPACE on the military use of space, space architecture, and space policy.
- High-Energy Petawatt Project at the University of Rochester's Laboratory for Laser Energetics (C. Stoeckl, J. A. Delettrez, J. H. Kelly, T. J. Kessler, B. E. Kruschwitz, S. J. Loucks, R. L. McCrory, D. D. Meyerhofer, D. N. Maywar, S. F. B. Morse, J. Myatt, A. L. Rigatti, L. J. Waxer, J. D. Zuegel, and R. B. Stephens), Fusion Science and Technology 49(3), 367-373 (2006).
- Early Stage of Implosion in Inertial Confinement Fusion: Shock Timing and Perturbation Evolution (V.N. Goncharov, O.l V. Gotchev, E. Vianello, T. R. Boehly, J. P. Knauer, P. W. McKenty, P. B. Radha, S. P. Regan, T. C. Sangster, S. Skupsky, V. A. Smalyuk, R. Betti, R. L. McCrory, D. D. Meyerhofer, and C. Cherfils-Clerouin), Physics of Plasmas 13, 012702 (2006).
- Direct-Drive, Cryogenic Target Implosions on OMEGA (F. J. Marshall, R. S. Craxton, J. A. Delettrez, D. H. Edgell, L. M. Elasky, R. Epstein, V. Yu. Glebov, V. N. Goncharov, D. R. Harding, R. Janezic, R. L. Keck, J. D. Kilkenny, J. P. Knauer, S. J. Loucks, L. D. Lund, R. L. McCrory, P. W. McKenty, D. D. Meyerhofer, P. B. Radha, S. P. Regan, T. C. Sangster, W. Seka, V. A. Smalyuk, J. M. Soures, C. Stoeckl, S. Skupsky, J. A. Frenje, C. K. Li, R. D. Petrasso, and F. H. Seguin), Physics of Plasmas 12, 056302 (2005).
- Theory of Laser-Induced Adiabat Shaping in Inertial Confinement Fusion Implosions: The Relaxation Method (R. Betti, K. Anderson, J. P. Knauer, T. J. B. Collins, R. L. McCrory, P. W. McKenty, and S. Skupsky), Physics of Plasmas 12, 042703 (2005).
- High-Energy Petawall Capability for the OMEGA Laser (L. J. Waxer, D. N. Maywar, J. H. Kelly, T. J. Kessler, B. E. Kruschwitz, S. J. Loucks, R. L. McCrory, D. D. Meyerhofer, S. F. B. Morse, C. Stoeckl, and J. D. Zuegel), Opt. Photonics News 16, 30 (2005).