Skip to main content


Undergraduate Research Opportunities

Getting Started

The first step to working on a research project is getting to know the sort of research done within the department. Talk to with faculty and senior students, and visit the research and faculty pages to see what research is being done and by whom.

Students must have sophomore status or higher to work on department and independent research projects.


Students taking one of the 39X-level of courses (Independent Study Courses) can get one to four credit hours, depending on the research required.

Students not taking one of these courses may get a research assistant's salary.

You cannot get both credit and salary for work on a research project.

If an undergraduate is involved in the research and has contributed in that project, the student's name is included as one of the co-authors in official publications.