Apple Optical Engineer (Depth)
Cupertino, California, United States
To apply, please send your resume to Blair Curry at firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include in the email subject line: "Applicant from University of Rochester".
We live in a mobile and device driven world where knowledge of the physical world around us is needed. We rely on this knowledge to get around, to learn about our environment and to enable spectacular new features for custom applications. Apple is meeting those needs as robustly and as creatively as possible and is interested in people who want to help meet that commitment. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk.
These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. You will become part of a team that sets the standard in fostering excellence, creativity and innovation. Will you help us design the next generation of revolutionary Apple products?
The Camera Hardware Engineering group is responsible for all research, design, development, test, and qualification of camera hardware for Apple products. The team is looking for an Optical Lens Design Engineer to work on advanced optical technology development.
- Strong technical background in optics
- Interest or experience in Lens design and tolerancing using both glass and plastic optical materials
- Intimate knowledge of Optical CAD (Zemax, Code-V/LightTools etc) to model sequential and non-sequential systems
- Keen understanding of physical optics and beam propagation for single mode and multi mode lasers
- Use of software tools for physical optics (Virtual Lab, GLAD etc)
- Developing and implementing test methods for optical systems used for laser beam propagation
- Familiar with opto-mechanical principles and reading/interpreting opto-mechanical drawings
- Familiar with the design and manufacturing of Diffractive Optics
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly to peers and management
- A mixture of modeling/simulation and hands-on capabilities
- Ability to work with outsource vendors and overseas manufacturing partners to realize mass manufacturing of designs
- Willingness to travel internationally up to 15% of the time
- Ability to collaborate effectively in large teams in an open and honest manner
- Work on new lens design
- Drive advanced metrology development
- Complete analysis of the optical element's influence on the image quality characteristics
- Work closely with lens supplier for prototype design, evaluation and testing
- Interface with the assembly and packaging groups to support integration of lens into the camera module
PhD/MS/BS in Optics, Physics, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
Additional Desirable Requirements
- Working knowledge of thin film physics and fabrication
- Working knowledge of optomechanics
- Must be high energy, multi-tasker, resourceful problem solver, ability to work under pressure, take initiative
Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.