Opto-Mechanical Engineer for Harris Corporation
Job code: SIS20183107-26288
Job location: Melbourne/Palm Bay, FL
Harris Corporation is a leading technology innovator, solving customers’ toughest mission-critical challenges by providing solutions that connect, inform and protect. Harris supports government and commercial customers in more than 100 countries and has approximately $6 billion in annual revenue. The company is organized into three business segments: Communication Systems, Space and Intelligence Systems and Electronic Systems. Learn more at www.harris.com.
Responsibilities include design, analysis, integration and testing of opto-mechanical designs. The candidate will develop new or improve existing opto-mechanical systems. This includes developing 3D models, draft mechanical drawings, develop supporting documentation, and support production and quality. Will bring in experience mounting optics while minimizing to optical distortion. Will bring in practical experience with image quality metrics and precision mechanics. The individual will interact regularly with multiple teams that will get impacted by product development and ensure that design proposals taking into account constraints from assembly, fabrication methods, mechanical tolerances, materials, costs etc.
- BS or MS in optical engineering or mechanical engineering with specialization/background in optics.
- GPA of 3.0 or greater required.
- Ability to obtain security clearance.
Preferred Technical Skills
- Proficient user of 3D CAD modeling: CREO.
- Solid understanding of the unique aspects of Opto-Mechanical design features and constraints.
- Hands-on experience handling optical components, opto-mechanical assembly and alignment.
- Good understanding of basic optical principles and optical image quality metrics.
- Effective communication skills to work with different groups within the organization that would interface with opto-mechanical systems.
- Experience in precision mechanical design for manufacture.
- Thorough understanding of stress and thermal modeling of mechanical structures, with a specific view on their impact on overall optical image quality.
- Familiarity with numerical modeling tools such as MATLAB or Python.
- Familiarity with optical modeling tools such as ZEMAX, CODEV, FRED, ASAP.
Please be aware that many of our positions require a security clearance, or the ability to obtain one. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that Harris Corporation may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
Harris is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local law.