Students in the Center for Medical and Technology Innovation (CMTI) MS program receive extensive training in the commercialization process of medical devices.They become familiar with the complexities of the medical device industry including FDA regulations, intellectual property, and quality systems.The CMTI resides within the Department of Biomedical Engineering and is a joint collaboration between the Hajim School of Engineering & Applied Sciences and the School of Medicine & Dentistry.
Greg Gdowski – Executive Director, CMTI
Department of Biomedical Engineering
University of Rochester
201 Robert B. Goergen Hall
P.O. Box 270168
Rochester, NY 14627
CMTI Design Projects
- AortiSeal Ring Securement SystemA device to simplify the aortic valve attachment process during AVR surgeries.
- Apex AccessTeam Mentor Greg Gdowski, Martin Gira, and Amy Lerner Abstract Left ventricular assist (LVAD) devices are implanted in patients with heart failure to assist with pumping blood through the body. A new minimally invasive procedure has been developed to place these via a lateral thoracotomy approach. For this project we developed a retractor specifically for […]
- Hemorrhage HeroesTeam & Specialty: We are Hemorrhage Heroes, one of the two teams focused on neurosurgical devices within the University of Rochester CMTI program. Our team is composed of Zachary Muench and Melisanda Feliz, both of who have degrees in Biomedical Engineering. Background & Problem: A cerebral aneurysm is a weakened portion of a blood vessel […]
- NeuroSonic: Surgical device for reducing cranial drill noiseTeam Testing Product Design We envision our final product to be a reusable medical grade, bone conduction headset. This headset will feature a single-use disposable coverings that prevent contamination between patients for different surgical procedures. The single-use coverings are a clear sleeve composed of surgical drape grade material designed to enclose the headset during its […]
- PEHR Medical – NeomeshPediatric Surgical Group Pediatric Expansive Hernia Repair – A CDH Treatment Abdullah Abuomar, Marianna Aviles Jubis, John Moyer, & Terra Spurgeon Table of Contents Biodesign Need Statement Disease State Fundamentals – CDH Current Problem Our Product Testing and Justifications Limitations and Future Considerations Acknowledgements References Biodesign Need Statement A way to repair a severe congenital […]
- ReStableMeet the Team Background Wedge Deformities: Also known as the Wedge Effect. Characterized by the distraction of the proximal femur and lateralization of medullary nails within the femur. Why is it a Problem? Clinical Scenario How Does it Happen? Gaps in Current Solutions: Market Opportunity The Solution The WedgeWise Clamp: An orthopedic clamp for reducing fragments of the proximal femur […]
- SKOLIO MOUNTOur Team Background Scoliosis is an abnormal lateral curvature and rotation of the spine. There is a 2-3% prevalence worldwide. In Ghana, 138000 to 207000 adolescents may be affected by using this statistic. Problem In Ghana 138000 to 207000 adolescents may be affected. More severe cases seen in low resource settings due to: (1) lack of health care, (2) lack of awareness/education, […]
- Bubble TroubleBubble Trouble is the “Patient’s Companion”, the industry’s first and only medical device company that aims to eliminate bubbles in all surgical procedures to aid healthcare professionals prepare contrast agents faster, safer and simpler.
- CalCatchOur mission is to significantly reduce post-surgical SAVR life-threatening complications caused by calcium debris by introducing the industry’s first embolic protection device for SAVR procedures.
- Cardio 2An improved training model for endoscopic saphenous vein harvesting.
- Carotid Artery AccessBrief Description: vasSecure aims to decrease carotid artery dissection rates during Transcarotid Artery Revascularization (TCAR) procedures by improving access and stability. The device allows surgeons to properly tension the artery while distributing the applied force, allowing surgeons to perform the minimally-invasive procedure effectively and reduce the risk of trauma to the artery.
- DetectIVDetectIV is for anesthesiologists to detect unwanted infiltration and extravasation from delivery of intravenous fluids to reduce incidence of effects such as pain, swelling and risk of necrosis during the intraoperative period.
- DIY COVID-19 MaskIn response to the COVID-19 crisis, we are developing a mask that offers superior function in a fraction of the manufacturing time when compared to many emerging 3D printed mask designs. The design offers an improved seal around the face that is more comfortable, a more robust/airtight filter housing, autoclavable materials, and a quicker manufacturing method. This will allow local and national entities looking to produce DIY masks a better, faster alternative to 3D printing.
- Heart SmartA method to capture calcium debris in order to limit stroke incidence.
- Lemici Patient CameraA remotely operated camera to increase the accessibility of wound healing teleconsultations.
- Meramec Suction-ElevatorFor spinal surgeons who face difficulty visualizing the nerve root during spinal decompressions, the Meramec suction/elevator is a surgical instrument that combines multiple instrument functions to free surgeons’ hands and increase OR efficiency. It combines the functionality and familiarity of existing suction tips and manual elevators with end effector geometry specific to the lumbar nerve roots, reducing the need to switch instruments. This improves OR workflow and increases patient safety.
- MeshCureMesh deployment device used during laparoscopic procedures to prevent hernia
- Minuo Retrieval SystemThe MRS is a specimen retrieval device that offers surgeons a way to remove malignant specimens during laparoscopic procedures without significantly widening minimally invasive incisions. The proposed device would use expandable braided sleeving to elongate and radially compress large tissue specimens for extraction through the initial incision. Use of this device would allow surgeons to remove large tissue samples through smaller incisions to reduce patient pain, recovery time, postoperative pain and length of hospital stay.
- Mitral Valve Papillary Ring: A new gold standard in subvalvular exposureWith the MVP Ring, surgeons are able to recreate a patient’s native heart valve anatomy and overall hemodynamic function leading to improved surgical outcomes.
- Modern SpineA novel surgical caliper to measure the width of the facet joint during a laminectomy.
- Neuro 2A minimally invasive instrument designed to increase fusion rates in percutaneous spinal fusions.
- Operation VENTUREA major challenge presented by the COVID-19 crisis is the limited number of caregivers that can attend to the influx of patients requiring ventilators. Our alarm app and sensor system allows caregivers to monitor the real-time performance of conventional and novel ventilators for multiple patients at once. Such data could be used to compare trends in current patient outcomes with previously recorded ventilator data. This would allow clinicians to foresee complications and make more informed decisions in treating similar diseases.
- Optigraft Skin Graft MesherSkin grafts are commonly used for wound closure and are cut with a mesh pattern to expand their coverage area. They are thin, delicate, painful to harvest, and easily damaged during traditional meshing. We observed need for a method to mesh skin grafts that is less prone to failure. Optigraft addresses this problem with technology that not only executes precise cuts without damage, but also measures the wound sites to allow for planning of optimal graft size and expansion ratio.
- Portico HealthThe Portico Laminoplasty Fixation System allows surgeons to perform open-door laminoplasty using only one fastener.
- PortVision: Minimally Invasive Surgical Port to Reduce Muscle CreepOur project focuses on solving the need to decrease the amount of muscle obstruction during minimally invasive lumbar surgeries in order to increase the surgeon’s visualization of the surgical field. We developed a medical device that decreases the muscle obstruction by expanding an inflatable at the base of a cylindrical port. The product was tested in a PVA mixture that resembles similar material characteristics as muscle which proved the plausibility and efficacy of the concept.
- Re-Align: Fracture Fixation AssistantTibial shaft fractures are a common injury and may require surgical intervention. During our team’s observation of trauma surgeries at Strong Memorial Hospital, we found the procedure was inefficient. Tools used to align bone may move, and people holding alignment are prone to fatigue. Each time a tool moves, alignment is checked or redone using X-ray. Our device clamps to the surgical bed and locks the position of instruments reducing staff needed to hold alignment and increasing efficiency.
- REMA TechA device to collect an adequately sized bone biopsy sample on the first try.
- Screw Insertion Trajectory KitThe Screw Insertion Trajectory Kit is an assistive tracking system that provides real-time feedback for the screw trajectory insertion process unlike the current free-hand method or existing technologies that are not specifically designed for plates and screws open reduction internal fixation (ORIF) surgical procedures.
- STMedicalRevolutionizing minimally invasive surgeries by targeting 70% of all major complications
- Temporary Sternal SpacerVarious post-operative complications may lead cardiac surgeons to opt for delayed sternal closure following open heart surgeries. Patients’ sterna are left open and they are cared for in the intensive care unit for 1-7 days. In the ICU, bedridden patients are turned to prevent pressure ulcers and for linen changes. During these turns, the sternal halves rotate and twist, potentially leading to injury or death. Our device stabilizes the sternal halves during transport and turning, greatly increasing patient safety.
- The Ten-μ HemoLock ClampTen-μ solutions plans to introduce time and cost savings to the operating room (OR) through application-specific single-use instrumentation. Our instrument will allow surgeons to position and tension vessel loops at their discretion.