Each year, biomedical engineering students partner with companies and institutions to solve real-world engineering problems through developing prototype medical devices and research instruments. We are grateful to our clinical partners, members of the community and collaborators for the opportunity to address their challenges. Their dedication to improving health care has inspired our students to apply, develop and demonstrate their creative talents and engineering expertise.
2020 – 2021 has been an unusual year, to say the least. However our students have shown persistence, ingenuity and empathy as they developed these proof-of-concept prototypes. We are very proud of their efforts and hope you enjoy reviewing their designs.
BME Design Projects
- Action Trackchair ControllerA new wireless controller for the Action Trackchair to allow for use by a caregiver of those unable to control the chair on their own.
- ArthroplasticsA surgical simulator with realistic sensory feedback for total knee replacement surgery training.
- Beard Adaptor for Ventilation MaskAn adaptor device able to attach to a ventilation/anesthesia mask to improve gaseous medication delivery to patients with facial hair.
- Catheter Detection, Tracking, and Virtual Image ReconstructionAn integrated image processing system to track a surgical catheter in occluded surgical views.
- Cost-Effective HIV Viral Load AssayTo design a cassette for a cost effective and fast HIV viral load assay to increase testing accessibility in areas such as sub-Saharan Africa where HIV rates are highly prevalent.
- Droplet Placement Positioning System for Fluid DepositionA high-resolution fluid deposition system for use with Waveguide-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy sensors.
- Hemodialysis Inline AnalysisA benchtop inline analyzer to measure the concentration of urea in spent dialysate.
- Home Exercise System for Knee PainCreating an affordable, accessible, and effective home exercise device to target chronic knee pain.
- Improved Neck BraceA cervical orthotic for patients experiencing head drop due to neuromuscular diseases, such as ALS. The brace will focus on support, comfort, and controlled motion.
- Orthopaedic Surgeon Radiation Exposure ReductionA creative device to protect medical professional from radiation with females physiques in mind
- Safe Patient TransferA new mechanism for patient transfers that will minimize the prevalence of back injuries in nurses during lateral patient transfers, while sustaining the safety of the patients.
- Urine Detection: Detection with DignityA device to detect urinary incontinence due to loss of bladder control.
- Video OculographyA wireless Video Oculography system with two cameras to efficiently and accurately diagnose vestibular disorders